Sunday 18 January 2015

Blog as Brag

What is a blog? When I first got into these blogs were my way of excitedly sharing those things that I'm fascinated by. I realized a blog was my own magazine and I soon discovered that people actually read these things and would respond. I've helped and been helped by many readers.

There's a certain brag element too, and I hope I haven't entered that camp too often. But a blog is a personal statement and perhaps a certain self back-patting can be allowed. To that end I want to boast about the Canadian Great War equipment that I have helped into being as reproductions. I should emphasize, however, that nothing occurs in isolation and my efforts would not have been possible, nor come to anything, without the generosity of owners and collectors, and the inimitable energy, commitment, and skill of Ashok and Jerry of What Price Glory.

So here is my list of the projects I have worked on and so ensured that these items are in the world for us to enjoy and to help us remember.

The seven button tunic is the base of it all.


Onto this can be added the Oliver Pattern components including the water bottle carrier, the yoke, the haversack, the Lee Metford frog, and the valise.


For the 1915 pattern my contribution is most indebted to others and I feel honoured to have been trusted with so much cooperative inspection and delving. I hope the results are proven right where we only had photos to go by. The ammo pouches were a combined effort while the haversack was made an easy task by having a borrowed one to make a mock-up from. The back pack required some divining from photos.


In the 1916 gear I only played a part with the back pack.  Working out the back pack was an effort that required a pleasant visit to the Canadian War Museum. Then I discovered the value of making a mock-up from which Ashok could work his magic.

Here's the link to the What Price Glory web site: 

                      http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopaff.asp?affid=1497



Currently I'm getting involved in reproducing badges. Most recently I've had made the 21st Battalion cap badge and the PPCLI Marguerite cap badge. For information in how to purchase thes items please email me.


I'm about to get into the Canadian nurses' buckles as a project.


I'll report on that as it happens.


April update:

The trouble with all these blog pages is you forget what you've said and where.

The update is that the reproduction is made and now available. Here it is:


Also available are Canadian Medical Corps badges.











No comments:

Post a Comment